SQL is Structured Query Language, which is a computer language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data stored in a relational database.SQL is the standard language for Relational Database System. All the Relational Database Management Systems (RDMS) like MySQL, MS Access, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Postgres and SQL Server use SQL as their standard database language.
SQL is widely popular because it offers the following advantages ,Allows users to access data in the relational database management systems.Allows users to describe the data.Allows users to define the data in a database and manipulate that data.Allows to embed within other languages using SQL modules, libraries & pre-compilers.Allows users to create and drop databases and tables.Allows users to create view, stored procedure, functions in a database.Allows users to set permissions on tables, procedures and views.
What is SQL?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL lets you access and manipulate databases
- SQL became a standard of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in 1986, and of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1987
What Can SQL do?
- SQL can execute queries against a database
- SQL can retrieve data from a database
- SQL can insert records in a database
- SQL can update records in a database
- SQL can delete records from a database
- SQL can create new databases
- SQL can create new tables in a database
- SQL can create stored procedures in a database
- SQL can create views in a database
- SQL can set permissions on tables, procedures, and views
- meant for back end developers, database administrators, data analytics
- no complex programming knowledge required
- So, anyone who can use English at a basic level can learn and write SQL queries easily
- the RDBMS basic concepts like what is a database,field,tuple etc., is optional